Do you have knowledge and experience in advanced wide area communication network technologies and operations? Are you interested in quantum communication, or do you already have experience in this area? And would you like to contribute to shape the future implementation of quantum communication networks to advance scientific research and discoveries? Then we would like to talk to you!
About SURF and the Technology Exploration team
SURF is the collaboration organisation for IT for Dutch education and research. SURF works with educational and research institutions on IT facilities and IT innovation in order to make optimum use of the opportunities afforded by digitisation.
One of the focus areas is the application of quantum technology for scientific research and education, so that users of SURF's infrastructure will continue to have access to the best infrastructure and expertise in the future. In this way, we aim to continue facilitating top Dutch research and education in the long term.
As a Senior Advisor & Lead Quantum Communications, you will be part of the Quantum Computing & Communications team, which in its turn is part of the Advanced Computing & Networking program within the SURF Open Innovation Lab. We are a close-knit, enthusiastic and at the same time very relaxed team. We encourage you to participate in the projects to which you can contribute most, but also in projects that you find interesting or about which you would like to know more. In addition, SURF as a whole offers an atmosphere with a high level of knowledge. People are always open to learning and sharing their expertise.
What does this job entail?
As a Senior Advisor / Lead on quantum communication, you will contribute to unlocking new areas of research and scaling up research through the use of quantum communication.
Together with our users and member institutions, you will define and develop operational quantum communication networks in a co-design approach, hand in hand with use cases and applications, allowing us to learn and experience the potential bottlenecks and general requirements. Of course we do this with national and international collaborations. At the same time, you will contribute to the knowledge within a growing field. In this way, you will ensure that the Netherlands continues to innovate and achieves economic growth and prosperity.
What makes your work so interesting and valuable? First of all, the social impact of your work. We have about a hundred members, including universities, hospitals and research institutes such as RIVM and KNMI. If you help them to innovate, then you really contribute to medium and long-term developments in the field of High-Performance Computing, Networking, Quantum Technology, Data Processing, Data Management & Artificial Intelligence. And in doing so, you will make a difference to our entire society.
What are you going to do exactly?
- You will lead the quantum communication activities at SURF;
- You are one of the ambassadors of Quantum Communication at SURF towards its members, customers, users and industry, QuantumDeltaNL, and maintain contacts with international parties such as SURF's sister organizations and GEANT;
- You will research and demonstrate the future added value of quantum communication for research and education in the Netherlands;
- You will lead the quantum communication vision and strategy and design a portfolio of projects to realize this strategy;
- You develop and implement technical test environments for experiments and help organize communities for use cases for quantum communication;
- You communicate results, share insights at national & international conferences/events;
- You supervise internships, BsC and MsC student projects;
- You will set up and lead collaborations with external national and international parties;
- You will coach junior colleagues in the expert area.
- MSc/PhD in the technical sciences (electrical engineering, physics, computer science, etc.);
- Minimum 7 years of relevant work experience;
- Knowledge and experience with (operational) network infrastructures and designing and deploying test environments and pilots;
- Knowledge and experience with programming languages such as python or C is a plus.
- Demonstrable interest in quantum communications;
- Preferably experience with service integration and with the requirements to interface communication applications with software platforms.;
- A good team player, with strong communication and stakeholder management skills.
- A varied and challenging job for 32 to 40 hours (0.8 - 1.0 fte) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high level of ambition;
- Extensive training opportunities and excellent fringe benefits;
- A salary range of 4813 - 7974 EUR gross based on full-time;
- 8.33% vacation allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8.33%;
- 36 vacation days per year (based on a 40-hour work week);
- A good pension plan with PNO media, where you yourself contribute only 1/8th of the premium and SURF contributes 7/8ths;
- An NS Business Card 1st class;
- The opportunity for hybrid work and you will receive a home office allowance on work-at-home days;
- Two great locations, in Amsterdam and Utrecht, both with good public transport facilities. Your main location will be: Utrecht. Our Utrecht office is located within walking distance of Utrecht CS;
- A contract for one year initially, with the intention of converting to permanent employment after one year.
Prior to starting this job, a VOG must be presented.
SURF takes great pleasure in doing its recruitment itself; acquisition is therefore not appreciated.