Are you an expert in network technology and do you like to collaborate? Are you someone who can take network facilities to the next level, so that users can rely on stable, but also innovative IT facilities? We are looking for a technical specialist who enjoys working in an international setting, is passionate about education and research and has knowledge of data networks.
About SURF and the Network Development team
SURF is the collaboration organization for IT for Dutch education and research. SURF works with educational and research institutions on IT facilities and IT innovation to make the best use of the opportunities offered by digitization.
Within Network Development team, we ensure that education and research can excel by providing excellent network facilities, where possible together with our user groups. We cooperate nationally and internationally and follow relevant developments. We use the knowledge we gain in the process to improve infrastructure and services.
What does this job entail?
As a technical specialist, you will be responsible in the Network Development team for our international network facilities, their usage and development. You ensure that students, teachers and researchers can make optimal use of the available infrastructure. For example through the NetherLight node, the SURF Cross Border Fibers and other international capacity. You do this by actively contributing in various international partnerships to appropriate state-of-the-art solutions that ensure that education and research in the Netherlands is optimally connected to the rest of the world.
Together with colleagues, international partners, suppliers and contacts at (research) institutions, you determine the strategy and positioning of our international services and ensure that new technologies, infrastructures and investments are deployed to connect research networks on a global scale. Among others, we facilitate projects related to the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the LOFAR (Low Frequency Array) telescope and the Square Kilometre Array (SKA). These research projects generate enormous amounts of data that we transport to the Netherlands via the SURF infrastructure, among other things.
You will also be responsible for the technological aspects of SURF’s international hub NetherLight. You will ensure that the service runs smoothly, stimulate and optimize connectivity with connected parties, build and test new functionalities, and expand existing services with innovations. You will share the knowledge you gain with colleagues, technical experts inside and outside SURF and, of course, our target group; for example, with blogs, presentations or workshops.
What are you going to do exactly?
- Define and maintain the architecture of NetherLight and SURF’s international network infrastructure, ensuring a robust, scalable and future-proof infrastructure;
- (Further) develop services in the area of international networking;
- Contributing to the further development of the strategy and positioning of NetherLight and international connectivity;
- Collaborate with fellow Technical Product Managers on the development of the fixed network, e.g. by collaborating on optical, service or virtualization infrastructure and related services;
- Technical operationally responsible for international service delivery;
- Collaborating with (international) partners of SURF in the field of network technology.
- University working and thinking level, preferably with a graduate degree in IT or telecommunications;
- At least 4 years of experience in a similar position;
- Experience with project work and managing suppliers;
- Willingness to travel with some regularity within and outside Europe;
- Broad knowledge of modern Internet protocols and networks is a plus;
- Strong communication skills and an excellent command of both Dutch and English.
- A proactive service and customer-oriented attitude, analytical ability and a results-oriented attitude.
- A varied and challenging job for 32 to 40 hours (0.8 – 1.0 fte) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high level of ambition;
- Extensive training opportunities and excellent fringe benefits;
- A salary range of 4813 – 7974 EUR gross based on full-time (wage level 2024);
- 8.33% vacation allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8.33%;
- 36 vacation days per year (based on a 40-hour work week);
- An NS Business Card 1st class;
- The opportunity for hybrid work and you will receive a home office allowance on work-at-home days;
- Two great locations, in Amsterdam and Utrecht, both with good public transport facilities. Your main location will be: Utrecht. Our Utrecht office is located within walking distance of Utrecht CS.
- A contract for one year initially, with the intention of converting to permanent employment after one year.
An assessment can be part of the selection procedure.
SURF takes great pleasure in doing its recruitment itself; acquisition is therefore not appreciated.