Are you a full stack developer capable of turning an idea into a working prototype or pilot? Would you like to make a substantial contribution to innovative ict facilities for research and education in the Netherlands? Then we are looking for you!
SURF is the collaboration organization for ICT for Dutch education and research. SURF works with educational and research institutions on ICT facilities and ICT innovation to make the best use of the opportunities offered by digitization.
You will join the Innovation Core Team, focusing on innovative ict technology applicable within higher education and research. The core team focuses on the application of new technologies and methods in various fields. With this we contribute to the goal of facilitating Dutch research and education at the top level in the world with top facilities and relevant expertise.
Within the Innovation Core Team, you work with product owners on prototypes and pilots in the areas of (confidential) scientific data, edge computing, cloud and IoT. You have an interest in these topics, and don’t let complex problems with a multitude of stakeholders get you down.
What does this job entail?
As a technical developer and advisor you will work with SURF colleagues, research communities and users within Dutch universities, colleges and knowledge institutions. You identify improvements to existing ICT applications and new possibilities. You are capable of quickly converting these into working prototypes and, if they prove to have potential, to realize them in pilots carried out together with users of the SURF infrastructure. You are creative, love to puzzle and have hands-on experience and expertise on various programming models and frameworks. You like having to deal with all aspects of data processing, both possibly educational and research related.
What are you going to do exactly?
Your duties will include at least:
- Working with your colleagues and experts from the institutions on various projects that will (potentially) lead to new services from SURF;
- Design and develop proof-of-concepts and prototypes for new systems, applications and services for our members;
- Setting up pilots with external users to identify the actual potential of new systems, applications and services;
- Exploring the reusability of existing solutions, possibly also through international examples;
- Following, exploring and initiating new (technological) developments and (open) standards;
- Demonstrating and documenting prototypes and/or pilots both internally and externally SURF;
- Close collaboration with colleagues on technical capabilities and on the needs and requirements of both research and education users;
- Complying with SURF guidelines for open source development, privacy and security when developing prototypes and pilots.
- Hbo/wo working and thinking level;
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of relevant work experience;
- Affinity and enthusiasm for teaching and research innovation and designing and building prototypes, possibly leading to new technical services;
- Experience with (open source) software development and development methodologies in an innovative environment;
- Knowledge of and experience with privacy by design and security by design;
- Up-to-date programming experience on computing clusters, cloud technology, internet of things and edge computing;
- Hands-on experience with Linux and (Docker) containers is a plus;
- Knowledge of key concepts, protocols and standards in use within higher education is a plus;
- Knowledge of Python or Scala is a must; knowledge of other programming languages, web technologies and front-end development is a plus.
- A varied and challenging job for 32 to 40 hours (0.8 – 1.0 fte) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high level of ambition;
- SURF offers extensive training opportunities and excellent fringe benefits;
- This position has a salary range of €3,886 to €6,378 gross based on full-time;
- 8.33% vacation allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8.33%;
- 36 vacation days per year (based on a 40-hour work week);
- An NS Business Card 1st class;
- We offer the opportunity for hybrid work and you will receive a home office allowance on work-at-home days;
- Our Amsterdam office is located at the Amsterdam Science Park, with good public transport facilities nearby. / Our Utrecht office is located within walking distance of Utrecht CS.
- Initially, the contract will be for one year, with the intention of converting to a permanent contract after one year.
SURF takes great pleasure in doing its recruitment itself; acquisition is therefore not appreciated.